Friday, November 11, 2011

Why Is Blogging Important?

Day 2 of my workshop on book promotion from the Muse Online Writers Conference.

Unlike a static website, a blog allows you to reach out and communicate with your readership. Updated frequently, you'll find yourself higher in the Google results. Type in my name and a lot of what you find on the first three pages are blog interviews or items from my blogs. Type in Little Shepherd and you'll find my book and my blog on the first page.

I've seen many authors go on a VBT and then drop off the face of the planet. Why work that hard for nothing? I make a point to blog multiple times a week, and I usually guest blog once a month. My regular blogging helps me talk about others' books (so I'm not constantly talking about my own work), and with guest blogging, I have the opportunity to talk about my book and what I am working on now. When we blog, we must remember reader benefit. No one wants to read a blog that is only about the blogger trying to sell him something.

I would caution you about two things when it comes to blogging:

1) If you start a blog--which I think every author should--be sure to update it regularly (at least 3 times a week). You'll lose your readership if you don't keep your blog updated.
2) Don't let a blog become your creative outlet. I love blogging, and pretty much I would love to blog all day. I never run out of ideas. How would I ever have written my next six books, however, if I let blogging steal all my time? Blogging, like everything else, needs to be worked into your daily schedule. It should complement your writing, not replace it.

Do you feel blogs are important? Do you have one? If you don't have one, why?

I look forward to hearing from you.

No comments: