Friday, September 16, 2011

I Thought Pitching was for Baseball


Fenway Park, Boston, MA


Recently my husband and I took the girls to see their first baseball game at Fenway Park, home of the Boston Red Sox. Unfortunately, the Sox lost that night to the Texas Rangers,10 to 0. Less than perfect pitching had a great deal to do with that.

Their first pitcher walked two opponents in the top half of the first inning. By the top of the second inning it was 6 to 0. They swapped pitchers at some point, and when his performance wasn't much better, they brought in Wakefield, who remained for the rest of the game (I'm taking this by memory, so if there was another pitcher at some point, don't shoot me).

In October, I'll have the opportunity to pitch two children's picture book manuscripts to different agents. This is one of the wonderful things about attending writers conferences. I agonized over my queries, hoping that I was able to express my idea eloquently and precisely. One-page doesn't leave a lot of room to work in your idea, your experience, and your marketing plan. Now, I can relax a bit until mid-October.

Pitching to agents is kind of like being a baseball pitcher. You can be as hot as eggs sizzling on a summer sidewalk, but still not win the game. You can be so off your game that you've lost it before you enter the third inning. But like in baseball, it doesn't mean you don't step up to the pitcher's mound for fear of failure. You practice; you learn all you can to prepare yourself; you remind yourself why you're so excited about your manuscript, and you hope the agent shares that enthusiasm enough to sign you.

One thing's for sure--nothing good is going happen if you stay in the bullpen.

Tell us about your first pitch. How did it go? Have you pitched since then? What have you learned?

3 comments:

V.R. Leavitt said...

How exciting that your girls got to see their first ball game! I remember being excited to see mine...maybe more excited to hug the mascot (Baltimore Oriole) but still excited. :-)

You're absolutely right about pitching to agents too. You gotta get yourself out there to play the game. Good luck with your pitches!

Beverly Stowe McClure said...

I'm sorry the Red Sox lost. But ... Mmm. I'm a Rangers fan.

Great analogy. Good luck to you with your pitches. May you have home runs with them.

I tweeted this.

Karen Cioffi said...

I agree, great analogy. I hope you knock it out of the ball park in your October pitches!

My husband is a die-hard Yankee fan.