Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Promoting Seasonal Books All Year Round


This summer I participated in Christmas in July at Putting Words Down on Paper. My article talked about promoting seasonal titles throughout the year. Here's the introduction:

Just for the record, I love Christmas. Ask anyone who knows me and they’ll tell you I embrace the season with all that’s in me. It wasn’t any surprise, then, that my first published book, Little Shepherd, was a retelling of the Christmas story.

Books with a holiday tie-in are wonderful because buyers looking for new ways to present seasonal topics are apt to purchase them. That said, when the holiday has come and gone, sales can drift away. This meant when I put together my marketing plan for Little Shepherd, I had to think about what I would do the other 9 months out of the year to promote it.

Here are some things that I’ve tried since the year started:

Writing Workshops

With dwindling budgets and greater expectations, educators are often looking for professional writers to visit their classrooms. I spent several days this year in the classroom running workshops on creating characters and story building. I didn’t talk much about my book specifically, but I can tell you that at Open House I walked down the hallway and one of my daughter’s classmates pointed and said to her parents, “That’s Sarah’s mom. She writes kid’s books.”

You can read the rest of the article at http://susannedrazic.blogspot.com/2011/07/christmas-in-july-with-cheryl-c.html

No comments: