Tuesday, May 10, 2011

First Book Stories: Secrets Revealed by Nick G. Giannaras



First Book Stories continues today with Nick G. Giannaras. I have to admit I didn't know Nick personally when he emailed me about this promotion. What I quickly learned, however, is that he's a fascinating guy. He is a Christian chiropractor who wants to send positive messages about God and his principles in entertaining stories that people of all ages can enjoy. He's also a Civil War reenactor--which I think is super cool--and a musician.

Gee, compared to him, I'm boring. :)

Gamer Turned YA Fantasy Writer by Nick G. Giannaras

Secrets Revealed actually grew from an old Dungeons & Dragons adventure I ran years ago. After I quit playing, I always told myself, “That would make a good book.” Then one day, five years ago, the dream began. The original manuscript, written in a secular format, wasn’t changed into a Christian novel until after the first draft was completed. Secrets Revealed holds action elements I had already written down and experienced in the game with 95% of the dialogue created by me since I couldn’t remember.

Lea Schizas, founder of MuseItUp Publishing, chose to represent my work in 2010, and has contracted a second book from The Relics of Nanthara trilogy. I remember receiving the email and sitting in awe, staring at the letter sent to me by Lea herself. I was on cloud-9 for close to a week.

As for writing a book, it is nothing what I expected. It involves many hours of work, planning, writing, and sacrifice. The biggest fallacy I had dealt with was thinking once I wrote the book, it was finished. Wrong! Editing was an element that has taught me a ton of craft development in watching what my editors said and suggested. Perseverance is also necessary in completing anything worthwhile in life, and absolutely in being an author. I handled close to one hundred rejections, five critiques, and five to six thorough edits before I became contracted with MuseItUp. With all I have learned, I now write better, faster, and more correct, thus eliminating long hours editing. Besides reaching people through my words, I hope to encourage others with tips I’ve learned to enhance or fire-up their creative side. Yet all this can be summarized by me in a simple verse: “With God, all things are possible.”

Nick G. Giannaras loves God. Proud of his Greek heritage, he is the first practicing chiropractic physician of his family and resides in North Carolina where he stays active in his church, Deliverance Christian Center, his family, and his hobbies. Among other things, Dr. Giannaras is an avid tabletop war gamer, loves to hunt and fish, is a Civil War re-enactor, paints, and dabbles in creating Christian music via his computer. He never thought writing as a form of ministry until he began this endeavor in 2005, and now pursues it vigorously. He views his books as entertainment with a message, and hopes they reach the world with a positive result for those who jump into his words.
Visit Nick online at http://nickgiannaras.wordpress.com/.

6 comments:

BarbaraB said...

Hi Nick,

Best of luck with your first book. With all you've learned, maybe the next one will be easier. However--keep up the hard work.

Pat McDermott said...

Congratulations on your book contracts, Nick. I like your positive attitude about learning the ABCs of the writing process. Best of luck with your "Relics" trilogy!

Beverly Stowe McClure said...

What an inspiring story. Thanks for sharing, Nick. Congratulations on your book(s) and best of luck to you.

Sharon Sullivan-Craver said...

Congratulations on your book Nick. I am a newbie too,although no publications as yet, but it'll happen. Loved reading the blog. Much success!!

Cheryl said...

Thanks to everyone who stopped by. Best of luck, Nick.

V.R. Leavitt said...

Congrats and good luck with your book, Nick!!