Friday, May 27, 2011

First Book Stories: Kai Strand and The Weaver


So we come to the end of our First Book Stories special feature. I hope you've enjoyed it. Our final first book story comes to you from a talented writer and friend. Kai Strand has written an engaging middle grade fantasy chapter book that kids will love. I had a chance to help Kai promote it this month.

The Weaver by Kai Strand

I believe my first book story is one every aspiring author should shoot for. Why? Because I don’t remember when I started the story and I don’t know how long it took me to write. Why? Wow, you ask a lot of questions.

But that last question deserves an answer. I’d written another novel before I started on The Weaver. I got about 2/3 of the way through The Weaver and got stuck. In all fairness, I probably should have stuck with the story, focused my efforts and wrapped it up, but instead I wrote another novel during National Novel Writing Month (NaNoWriMo). Yep, an entire separate novel. Then I went back to The Weaver and finished it.

Even the edits were patchy because I had two complete novels to edit at the same time and they were completely different stories for completely different audiences. Sometimes I would work on the young adult novel and get so caught up in it, I wouldn’t return to The Weaver edits for a couple of months. In the end, I’m sure glad I did.

Truth be told, writers should be so busy that they don’t actually know what path they took on any one story or the other. If you are an aspiring author then aspire to be so caught up in the writing, you don’t realize how long the journey takes. Good luck on your own writing journey.

Kai Strand is a children's author of middle grade and young adult novels. She was born and raised in the mid-west, where she inherited a wholesome outlook on life. She lived in California long enough to become a (very lucky) wife and the mother of four amazing kids. They now live in Central Oregon where the most common sound in her household is laughter. The second most common is, "Do your dishes!"


Obviously, Kai likes to write. The Weaver is Kai’s debut book. She reads a lot as well and calls it research. Kai loves to garden, and is trying out a greenhouse for the first time this year. She loves to sing. You might find her singing in Latin while browsing at Target. Most of the time she isn’t aware she’s singing aloud. She and her family love to hike and geocache. Kai walks 45 miles a month for exercise.


You can visit Kai online at www.kaistrand.com or at her blog, Strands of Thought, www.kaistrand.blogspot.com.

3 comments:

diannehartsock said...

Lovely story, Kai. I hope you're doing a sequel. I want to know more about Unwanted's life! He's awsome.

beverlyjean said...

Hey, Kai. I like what you say about being so caught up in your writing that you don't realize how long the journey takes. That could keep a writer sane. :)

Enjoy reading more about you.

(I'm about to have war with Blogger. It still won't let my post, so I'm using my LJ profile.) Beverly

cleanwriter said...

Cheryl, thank you for including me in this fun monthly focus on first book stories. I hope my own story inspires someone to bury themselves deep within the process.

Dianne, Unwanted probably could find some other problem to...um..."fix." What a fun idea. Thanks.

Bev, you found a way around the system before I did. I've been trying to post forever. Argh! Thanks for your kind words and your persistence.

Kai