Tuesday, May 10, 2011

First Book Stories: The Golden Pathway by Donna McDine

Today's First Book Story comes from good friend, Donna McDine. In addition to being a talented author, Donna is also Editor-in-Chief of Guardian Angel Kids Magazine. I helped her promote the book she'll be talking about today, through Pump Up Your Book. As a lover of history, and as someone who has studied the Civil War, Donna's book was one I truly enjoyed.


The Golden Pathway by Donna McDine

I have always enjoyed historical fiction, especially slavery and the Underground Railroad. Even though this specific time period was a horrific time in history I always find it fascinating and heartwarming that so many people helped the slaves escape to freedom, despite consequences against them if caught. Initially, The Golden Pathway started out as a writing assignment for the Institute of Children’s Literature, but I never submitted it beyond my writing instructor. This particular manuscript kept calling to me to bring David and Jenkins' story forth from my computer. After joining the Children’s Writers’ Coaching Club and garnering success with online Ezines and print magazines I finally submitted the manuscript to Suzanne Lieurance for critique and with her encouragement I submitted it to the 77th Writer’s Digest Writing Competition. Much to my delight it placed 12th in the Children’s/Young Adult category. Then after meeting Lynda Burch of Guardian Angel Publishing at the Muse Online Writers Conference and further editing by Lynda and Lea Schizas, The Golden Pathway saw the light of day and then to life with the illustrations by prolific artist, K.C. Snider. And here I am today several years later with my first published children’s book in my hands.It’s been quite the roller coaster ride and one that I wouldn’t trade in for the world.

Never be afraid to ask questions. We all have something to learn each and every day and you’ll be surprised how many people have the same question as you. Happy writing to you all and let your voice soar.


Donna McDine is an award-winning children's author, Honorable Mention in the 77th and two Honorable Mentions in the 78th Annual Writer’s Digest Writing Competitions. Her stories have been published in many print and online publications and her interest in American History resulted in writing and publishing The Golden Pathway. Donna has two more books under contract with Guardian Angel Publishing, The Hockey Agony and Powder Monkey. She writes, moms and is the Editor-in-Chief for Guardian Angel Kids and Publicist for the NWFCC from her home in the historical hamlet Tappan, NY. McDine is a member of the SCBWI and Musing Our Children.


http://www.donnamcdine.com
http://www.donna-mcdine.blogspot.com
http://www.thegoldenpathway.blogspot.com

18 comments:

Donna M. McDine said...

Hi Cheryl:


Thank you for the opportunity to share my first book story. I'll be checking in throughout the day.

It was an honor for me to have you coordinate my first virtual book tour and I look forward to working with you again once my 2nd and 3rd books are published.

Best wishes,
Donna

Mayra Calvani said...

Thanks for sharing how your first book got started, Donna! I truly enjoyed reading it!

Kelly McClymer said...

Donna, was it exciting to see your book come to life through the artist's pen? As a writer of "just word" novels, I have always thought it must be an amazing thing to see an artist turn your words into pictures -- with the added benefit that the story and words stay yours, unlike with movies made from books.

Karen Cioffi said...

Donna,

It's always interesting to learn how a book came about. And I completely agree that learning is a never-ending process.

Thanks for sharing.

Nicole weaver said...

Donna,

Your book is a masterpiece. I so enjoyed reading and reviewing it. Thanks for your unrelenting desire to bring this important story to life. The characters David and Jenkins will forever hold a special place in my heart.

Wishing you the very best!
Nicole Weaver
Trilingual Children's Author
http://mysisterismybestfriend.blogspot.com

Pat McDermott said...

Donna, The Golden Pathway sounds like a wonderfully entertaining story. Congrats on the successful conclusion of your first roller coaster ride, and here's to many more!

Donna M. McDine said...

Hi Mayra, Karen, Nicole and Pat:

Thank you for your heartwarming words of support of The Golden Pathway. You've made my day!

Kelly: The experience of watching K.C. Snider's illustrations bring the story of The Golden Pathway was exhilirating! She grabbed the essence of the story from the onset!

Thank you for visiting today, I look forward to checking back in later,
Donna

billkirkwrites said...

Very nice "birth of a book" story, Donna. It's neat to look back at what made the difference in how a particular story made its way from concept to publication. You just never know how something is going to work out. But persistence definitely counts.

Nancy Stewart said...

The Golden Pathway is a much needed and important book. I wish you continued success with it and with others to come.

Thanks to you both for this.

Kai said...

Donna, thanks for sharing the story of your story. The Golden Pathway is a beautiful book and so well told.

Donna M. McDine said...

Bill, Nancy, and Kai:

I am delightfully overwhelmed by your wonderful words of support. Thank you for taking the time out to visit with me today.

Warm regards,
Donna

Cheryl said...

Good golly, Miss Molly. It's been busy while I've been away. Thanks to everyone for stopping by. Donna, you've written a wonderful book. I'm glad to help spread the word.

All my best,

Cheryl

BarbaraB said...

Donna,
Congratulations on the success of your first book. It's wonderful that it carries an important message as well as having appealing characters.

Donna M. McDine said...

Cheryl:

It was a pleasure visiting today.

Barbara:

Thank you for visiting and for your kind words of support!

Best wishes,
Donna

terri.forehand said...

Great post about your first book. Congratulations again on the book. It is a winner.

V.R. Leavitt said...

I love to hear about the origins of books and ideas. Thanks for sharing, Donna and Cheryl!

Beverly Stowe McClure said...

Your first book is a good one, Donna. Looking forward to the next ones.

Yes, I know. I'm late. But better late than never, they say. :)

Best of luck to you, Cyber Daughter.

Heidiwriter said...

The best to you in your writing and marketing endeavors!